Locked out! How to recognise respectable locksmith services
Have you ever locked yourself out?
Our checklist will help you find a respectable locksmith service.
Checklist for finding a respectable locksmith service
Locked out without a key
- Stay calm and do not react rashly.
- Is there a spare or emergency key somewhere? E.g. acquaintances, relatives, roommates, building manager.
- Is there any other way to get into your private premises?
Finding a respectable locksmith service
- Many dormakaba partners offer locksmith services. Here you will find a dormakaba partner near you.
- Contact the police. Many police stations keep a list of respectable locksmith services.
- Look for local locksmith services on the internet.
- Caution: the top search results are not necessarily locksmith services near you.
- Taking a look at the provider’s about us section will usually tell you where the firm is located.
- Look for reviews of the locksmith service on the internet. This can be very revealing.
- Respectable locksmith services generally do not use 0800 or 0900 telephone numbers.
- Be sceptical if the provider does not speak the local language on the phone.
- Ask for the exact name of the company on the phone.
- Dubious locksmith services usually tell you merely “contractor service”, “locksmith service” etc.
- Look for a price list on the provider’s website.
- Every respectable locksmith service will inform you on the phone of the costs you can expect.
- Even though prices will vary, you should question conspicuously high rates.
- There are surcharges for service calls outside of office hours.
The locksmith service at your location
- A respectable locksmith will ask you for identification.
- Be sceptical if the locksmith wants to drill out your lock immediately. This is not necessary in most cases and will cause additional charges.
- Do not pay on site, but ask for an invoice.
After using the locksmith’s service
- Report the loss of the key to your landlord or the police. That way, the safety of the building can be maintained.
- You can ask for an itemised invoice for the service.
Warning issued by St. Gallen cantonal police about dubious locksmith services
Beobachter - Tipps zu Schlüsseldiensten (Look out! Tips on locksmith services)
Sendung SRF Kassensturz Espresso «Ausgesperrt! – So gehen Sie richtig vor» (TV programme “Locked out! What to do next”)
Sendung SRF Kassensturz «Schlüsseldienst: Deutsche Bande nimmt Schweizer Kunden aus» (TV programme “Locksmith service: German gang fleeces Swiss customers”)