Daily Safety Checklist - Sliding Doors
Perform This Safety Check Daily on each Automatic Sliding Door
Activation and Safety
Walk to the door at a normal to moderate pace. The door should start opening when you are about four feet from the door. The door should slide open smoothly and stop without impact. The sensor pattern should activate the door no more than 5” from door or, no less than 43" from door, and be almost as wide as the door opening 30" from door. The sensor should be able to detect objects 28" tall. Upon stepping out of the sensor pattern the door should not start to close in less than 1.5 seconds.
Step on the opening mat. The door should swing open smoothly and stop without impact. A mat should be no less wide than the door opening minus 5” each side. If there are mats on each side, each side should be walk tested. There should be no more than 6" of inactive area at the threshold. After stepping off mat the door should not start to close in less than 1.5 seconds. Walk test the mats by standing at several locations to be sure there are no inappropriate dead spots.
Remain still on threshold (directly between the doors or door and jamb on single leaf sliders). Door should remain open. Cover the doorway-holding beam with your hand and remain still. The door should open fully if closed; if open. It should remain open for at least 1.5 seconds after you move your hand. Be sure when performing this inspection that it is the safety holding beam you are activating, not a motion sensor or mat. If other safety devices are used crouch motionless in the door opening for 10 seconds. The door should not close. The lower holding beam or sensors should detect objects 28” tall.
The door should be adjusted to close at a rate of no faster than 1 foot per second. The doors closing speed should become noticeably slower no less than 2” from fully closed.
1. Check the mat molding and threshold. It should be complete and secured with all screws tightened.
2. Check all door panels for broken or cracked glass.
3. There should be an Emergency Push Open sign and a Caution Automatic Door sign on each door. Each of these signs should be 58" plus or minus 5” from the floor.
1. There should be no bulletin boards, literature racks, merchandise displays, or other attractions in the door area where people could be hit by the door. Be sure the floor guides are kept cleaned and free of any debris that could prevent the door from sliding.
2. Check all door panels for damage. Make sure all covers are properly secured.
3. Check door area for tripping hazards or slipping hazards.
If you have questions about any of the above items, please ask our service representative. Safety devices for all doors should be checked by an AAADM certified inspector at least annually.
If you have a problem you cannot correct, turn off the door and contact your local service branch.