Day in the life of a Territory Salesperson
Meet Michael, a Territory Salesperson for our Service Department
What does your day-to-day role as a Territory Salesperson entail?
My day to day role covers a variety of sales aspects, such as:
- Various customer meetings, i.e. site surveys (to obtain initial information for preparation of quotations), contract review meetings, PR/catch up meetings to build on relationships.
- Creating modernisation quotations and service contract quotations
- Managing my sales pipeline to monitor, update and hopefully convert opportunities to orders
- Monitoring performance against targets (monthly, quarterly and annual)
Not all of these tasks are done every day and each day is different, and can change even at the last minute. Such is the nature of service sales.
What led you into this career/role?
The majority of my career at DORMA (dormakaba) was in the estimating department. However I felt I had gone as far as I could in that role, and to continue my career path, I was looking to diversify slightly. At this point the service sales role became available, which I felt seemed the natural progression route relating somewhat to my experience gained from estimating. I also felt this role had more career paths open for future progression………..and so here I am.
What are the top 3 skills/qualities need to succeed in this role?
- Ability to communicate effectively & honestly
- Determined/self motivated
- Well organised
What advice would you give to someone considering the role of a Territory Salesman with dormakaba?
Keep an open mind and be courageous (by which I mean don’t be afraid of rejections and always keep a lookout for potential opportunities). It is a very competitive market, you are not going to win every order so don’t let lost orders affect you.
Work on building great relationships with your customers and make sure you communicate effectively and in a timely manner as this can make all the difference.
Be positive, remain organised and utilise the experience and knowledge of your colleagues. Within dormakaba we have a huge array of experience and knowledge throughout- never be scared to ask for help or advice.
Just for fun…
Which fictional character do you wish you could meet?
Albus Dumbledore – because if I am meeting him, it’s likely because I am a Wizard at Hogwarts!