Safety Checks for Swing Doors
Activation and Safety Checks
Walk toward the door at a normal pace. The door should start opening before you reach a minimum of 1000mm from the door. If the door is an escape route, a minimum of 1500mm applies in the direction of escape. If the door opens toward you, the measurements are taken from the front edge of the door in the fully open position. Repeat for the other side if the door has two-way operation.
Safety Note: In order to test the safety sensors we recommend using an approved test object measuring 200mm x 300mm x 700mm high to test the door safety as detailed in BS EN16005.
During the Closing Cycle
Activate the door and place the test object within the protected sweep area of the door. The door should begin to close. The test object should be detected without contact and the door should reopen.
During the Opening Cycle
With the door closed, place the test object within the protected sweep area of the door. Activate the door. The test object should be detected without contact and the door should remain closed or stop.
In the case of Low Energy Swing Doors
- Safety devices as described above may not be fitted with but are optional
- Usually have manual activation devices
- Travel at lower speeds with lower force
- In the opening and closing direction will stop when obstructed and continue after the obstruction is removed
- Check there are no hazards due to crushing, shearing, impact and drawing-in.
- Check that the opening and closing speed are not likely to increase the risk of impact
- Check that finger guards are secure and in good repair
- Check the door area does not present tripping or slipping hazards
- Check all doors have correct warning and information signs displayed
- Check the position and security of barriers
- Check operation of any manual or remote activation
- Check for distractions and obstructions in the vicinity of the doors
- With the door on ‘Hold Open’ setting grasp the front edge of the door and attempt to move it horizontally and vertically. There should be limited movement in the door pivots
- Check all door panels for broken/cracked glass
- Check all equipment and cabling is securely fixed
If you have questions about any of the above items, please contact dormakaba UK Service. Safety devices for all doors should be checked by an ADSA qualified technician at least once a year.
If you have a problem you cannot correct, turn off the door and call dormakaba on 0800 212 380.