THE BANK OF SPAIN - MADRID (ESP)
Impressive building with history
Architects: Eduardo Adaro y Severiano Sainz de la Lastra. Large Architects: José Yarnoz Larrosa y José Yarnoz Orcoyen. Block enclosure Architect: Rafaél Moneo.
The headquarters of the Bank of Spain is located in Madrid, with facades in Plaza de Cibeles, Alcalá street, Paseo del Prado, Madrazo and Marqués de Cubas streets.
The Bank of Spain, as an institution, was created in 1856 following the merger of the Isabel II Bank with the San Fernando Bank in 1847, and its first home was the building of the Five Major Guilds, located on Atocha street in the capital.
In 1999 the Bank of Spain Building was declared of Cultural Interest in Spain.
The progressive increase of the bank's activity has caused various extensions over the years:
The first one was made according to the project of the architects Eduardo Adaro and Severiano Sainz de la Lastra who won the gold medal at the National Exhibition of Fine Arts in 1884.
In 1927 the construction of the rear half of the Alcala facade was approved. This extension would be designed by the architect José Yarnoz Larrosa. Another extension, with less architectural value, would be conducted in 1969 by the son of the former, the architect José Yarnoz Orcoyen.
Finally, the closing of the block was completed from 2003 to 2006 on the corner of Calle de Alcalá with Marqués de Cubas, according to the winning project by Rafael Moneo, from the competition held by the Bank in 1978.
dormakaba’s Contribution to the Project
In keeping with the bank’s structure, the dormakaba door closers installed confer modernity, elegance and consistency of design.
When it was necessary to ensure safety and security, SVP panic locks were chosen to ensure that the door can be easily opened from the inside by simply pressing the handle while the latch locks automatically once the door is closed, providing additional security.